Not Dead, But Resting

Dear kind readers and gentlepeople,

This is just a little note let you know that Food for The Thoughtless is not dead, but merely taking a much-needed rest.

The author (pictured above) needed lots of sleep during the month of September. One could say that the month fairly flew by as if in a dream, which makes sense given the fact that he was doing his best to have as many of them as possible.

And now, sickened by his overuse of the third person, he will switch back to the much more human first, which suits him just fine, since he is now, in fact, feeling human again.

It was a wonderful month of ups and downs, but mostly ups.

Thanks to marvelous people like David Leite and Antonia Allegra, I was encouraged to haul my carcass to the Allegheny Mountains for a little jamboree known as the Greenbrier Symposium for Professional Food Writers, where I ate s’mores and learned to feel as if I were, in fact, a professional food writer.

I was entirely too busy cramming my brain with information to remember to take photos, which is a pity, but there were others who did like Heidi Swanson, who also brought snacks.

There were so many fascinating people there I was nearly as overwhelmed by them as I was by the Dorothy Draper interiors.

And, to finish off the month, this little thing happened…

…which isn’t little a thing at all, except perhaps in terms of physical size.

Several years ago, when I was taking my first, hesitant steps towards writing, my friend Robin gave me two of these anthologies for my birthday and said, “Who knows? Maybe you’ll be in one someday.”

And now I can proudly say I am. You can read my story on my blog, but there are 49 other people’s worth of  excellent stories to be found inside its covers. Buy a copy and see for yourself.

A lot of really wonderful things have come into my life as a result of this blog— the people I’ve met, the places I’ve been, the things I’ve eaten. I’d be a fool to let it end, which is why I will return next week with a spot of dirty fun. I promise.

Thanks so much for reading and all the marvelous encouragement. And I mean that most sincerely.

Cheers,

This entry was posted in Rants and Stories and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Not Dead, But Resting

1. Ok, believe me when I say this but I rarely, if ever, use the term “sqeeeee…” – It is only used for momentous announcements. So forgive me but “squeee…….”!!!

There. I feel better now.

All I can say is congratulations… and I am not surprised in the least!!!!

2. Barbara says:

Congratulations. I think I ‘ll add the book to my Christmas wish list.

3. Fatemeh says:

The social medias have ruined me. I want to Like and Favorite and Share this post all over christendom.

Congratulations, my friend. You deserve every stellar up.

• Thank you , my dear woman. You’re one of the wonderful people I’ve gotten to meet doing this whole food writing thing. Now, if we could just see each other more than once a year or so. Let’s please do something about that little thing.

4. Nicole says:

Congratulations, Michael. As Nancy said, it’s not at all surprising, but still so very exciting! Enjoy a bit more rest – we’ll still be here when you return.

5. tea_austen says:

Delighted for you, on all counts!
    Now, push back the covers and get to work again 🙂
    xox

6. Ryan Franson says:

That’s great news! Congratulations! Very well deserved.

7. Sharon says:

How cool is this? Good for you!

8. Jay Floyd says:

I’m so proud of you or, as they say here in Southern California, ‘crazy proud’.

9. You are so great…so very, very happy for you. xo

10. karen mattingly says:

Congrats! You deserve to be included!

11. emilie says:

!!!! Super happy for you! Outstanding work!

12. My dearest Michael Procopio of the Anaheim Procopios, this former Southern Belle was completely mesmerized by your writings, your witticisms, and your charming presence at the Greenbrier. You deeply touched me with your bravery and willingness to be open and vulnerable and your constant chilvalry to the rest of your Greenbrier tribe of food writers. You’re the master of being sardonic and lightly sarcastic to the point of humor, but without harm or hurt. As a 5th generation Southerner I pronounce you an honorary southern writer and gentleman to boot. As we say back home, “Bless your heart!” and “Honey take your break!”

• Robin,

Do you have any idea how much this compliment means to me, coming from a Southerner? Lots. I used to pretend I was Southern when I was a kid and insist that I *was* from the South because Anaheim is roughly the same latitude as Atlanta. Latitude, perhaps. Attitude, perhaps not.

Thank you so much for that. xom

13. This is fantastic, Michael. Congratulations to you — so deserving. I’d love to hear more about the Greenbriar Symposium sometime. What a wonderful opportunity you had to attend. It’s on my list of really-really-want-to-do-someday items.

14. Sasa says:

Yay! Well done Michael, couldn’t be happening to a writer I like more ^_^

15. This makes me smile from ear to ear. A grande affair is in order (meaning you and I and one too many cocktails at my house). Many many congratulations.
    I think you’re quite divine.
    Truly looking forward to catching up,
    Sabrina

Congratulations to you! I bought the book and can’t wait to start reading.
    Your cherished blogs are literary gems to be sure.
    Susan

17. Serene says:

Oh, Michael, how exciting! Yay!

18. Wonderful! Seriously. I am so tickled for you – I love that you are in my most favorite anthology… I have several years on my bookshelf and will be thrilled to add yours to the list. Congratulations many times over.